Wednesday 9 May 2012

Tree-Facts + An Explanation


Good morning, denizens of the Internet!

Having just woken up, I see it's a beautiful day out – perhaps later I'll run outside and snap some photos – perhaps a bit more up the street then usual. I do want to address something, though; it's that I'm sure some of you are saying “omg you don't have enough tree variety on here!”

And yes, that's true. And I do apologize for that – it's just that I currently have no reliable transportation to get anywhere that has a more abundant mix of wildlife. I do not drive, for reasons that are too complicated to explain(not that I'd tell the Internet this stuff anyway), and so, my range is limited to finding friends or family who are willing to drive me out to these places. And currently, with most of my friends busy with work or exams, that's hard to do. I could ask my father to take me down to one of the parks I liked to frequent in the past, but he's kind of a hard-ass who's always busy with his job.

The second thing is walking. I used to walk everywhere; I could snap a wide variety of beautiful shots on my old walking routes – and gather soil samples, take notes, or what have you. I miss it; alas, I can't do it much anymore due to my back injury. It's not a simple one, either; it makes walking next to impossible for long distances. So, sadly – I have to stay confined to my neighborhood unless I can bum a ride off someone.

I promise to try to get transportation and secure some better shots, but right now, it's a bit difficult at this time.

Enough about me and my blabbering, I figured I would start things off with 5 interesting tree-facts, as you would:

  1. A single, healthy tree can have a value of ten thousand USD. Yes, you heard me; those trees can be valuable to anyone who wants, for some odd reason, to buy a tree. Maybe they're building a log cabin.
  2. One-third of the United States is covered in forests. Yep, you heard me – if you thought all those logging and industrial operations have destroyed any forested communities in the good ol' USA, you're somewhat wrong!
  3. The tallest tree in the United States is 369 feet tall and well over 2000 years old. Yep – you read that right. I've been to Redwood National(where it is) and have seen it – it's quite a beautiful tree.
  4. A single tree can absorb as much CO2(carbon dioxide) in one year as a car can – if that car drove for 26,000 miles.
  5. Sadly, an average tree in an urban/city area has a life expectancy of only eight years – probably due to factors like logging, bark decay, human stupidity(car crashes, kids peeling off the bark of the tree, which is like the tree's skin; it protects it).
    (All these facts gathered from one of my favorite websites, www.savatree.com)


Anyway, I've got some stuff to do around the house. I'll try to get out and get some good shots today for you fine folks who actually read this blog(and I'm glad you do, admittedly).


No comments:

Post a Comment