Tuesday 8 May 2012

Introduction; Why I'm here




I figure that if I'm going to make a blog, I should try to introduce myself in the process!

First of all, I will not be using my real name. I'm not comfortable with using it on the Internet due to some rather unpleasant incidents that happened a few years back involving a serious breach of privacy. Instead, I'll be going by “Smith” - it's a generic enough name, I would think(I was going to use “John Smith”, but I didn't want to be too generic, after all.).

So, with that out of the way – I'd like to welcome you to my blog. It's not much at the moment since I haven't begun posting anything yet, but I figure I would take this time to actually do a write-up about what this is supposed to be.

What I will reveal about myself is that I am a college student studying web and media design. But, in my spare time, I find myself drawn to botany. I'm not a professional, by far(considering I failed the biology classes I took in high school) – but I still love to read about all things nature – plant, vine, tree, and the like. As such, I'm a pretty active person – I go on walks and photograph all sorts of wildlife whenever I can, which right now is hard due to a back injury I have – it's annoying, because I can't go out very far to places with -really good- plant life.

In that I enjoy botany, I find myself drawn to studying trees.
Why trees, you might ask? I don't know, really – I've always enjoyed looking at different types of trees, ever since my mother bought me a book on plants when I was younger. I also read about 'em, of course; I don't just take pictures and proclaim myself a botanist – but I can't realistically take pictures of all the soil samples and notes I have without boring this place even more so then it is now.

So, I figure that I should back-up my pictures that I take onto the Internet in-case:

A) I lose my data on my phone(I take pictures with my phone – my camera is currently in the property of a family member who refuses to give it back. She must really love taking pictures of her dog.)

B) Other people like trees/nature, and want to look at different pictures involving them.

That's really it for now. I've got to get out and start snapping some photos, but before I do – I'll gladly put up a few pictures I found online - so, enjoy and until next time:


Here's an oak tree - fun fact about oaks: oak wood is very resistant to both fungal and bug attacks due to the high amount of tannin(a chemical most commonly found in plants) that it possesses! 



A birch tree - another fun fact; in parts of Germany, young men would decorate birch trees found outside the home of their love interests on May 1st to show their affection for them.



A maple tree - fun fact; both maple syrup and maple leaves(it's on the Canadian flag) are both from this tree!


(All photos belong to their respective websites. I hold no credit over taking them)

No comments:

Post a Comment